The gall bladder, which is a small pear-shaped pouch, is located right behind the liver. Its main function is to preserve the bile that is secreted by the liver and use it to help the body in the process of digesting fatty foods.Gallbladder also cause bile to go over your small intestine, it is a process in which blood stream easily grasp vitamins and nutrients.However, the gallbladder can develop some problems, especially for women and the elderly people, and most of the time it is astone formation in the gallbladder. When there is too much cholesterol in the body, it slowly crystallizes and hardens into gallstones. Gallbladder pain is caused by gallstones, and the condition can cause a lot of discomfort. The good news is that there are several easy home remedies for gallbladder pain that give good relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: hereditary (genes), being overweight, problems related to gallbladder, unhealthy diet
- Symptoms: Pain in the upper belly and upper back, vomiting, nausea, digestive problems, heartburn, flatulence
10 Home Remedies For Gallbladder Pain
Pain inflammation is one of the most common gallbladder diseases where the pain usually occurs at the upper right corner of your abdomen.It can cause the gallbladder stones which is even more painful.Doctors who treat the gallbladder pain uses anti-inflammatory medications and painkillers to give a relief. However, some of the painkillers can be a cause to the most dangerous side effects that includes “increase the risk of dependency“. Luckily these all pain relievers can be made with our natural remedies for gallbladder pain without these harmful side effects.The best 10 gallbladder pain remedies are given here.
10. Fish Oil (Omega-3)
- Mix 2 teaspoons of Fish Oil (Omega-3) in a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink the mixture daily for a month or so
Fish Oil (Omega 3) which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids is the best remedy for gallbladder pain, which is caused by cholecystitis or gallbladder inflammation. It is caused by aformation of gallstones in the gallbladder. Omega-3 contains docosahexaenoic acid(DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid(EPA) which are essential for lowering the triglyceride levels. Apart from being a good cure for arthritis, anxiety, and cardiovascular diseases, Omega-3 fatty acids are good for curing gallbladder stones. Fish Oil is one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain.
While Fish Oil does not cause any major side effects if taken in moderate quantities, exceeding the dosage may result in thinning of the blood. Moreover, it may lower immunity levels, cause belching, bad breath, heartburn, and nausea.
- Take 2-3 fresh beetroots. Wash, peel and grate them.
- Squeeze some fresh lime. Eat the grated beetroot as a salad.
- Alternatively, you may make beetroot juice and drink it.
- Beetroots can also be added to the daily cooking.
Beetroots are one of the best natural means of pain medication, especially for getting relief from gallbladder pain. Beetroot juice works on the bile and helps by thinning it and removing the excess cholesterol that accumulates in the bile. As it is the cholesterol that slowly gets crystallized into gallbladder stone, once it is neutralized the problem is solved. Moreover, beetroot juice helps in regulating the blood pressure, boosts the stamina levels and helps fight inflammation. Beetroot is a great home remedy for gallbladder pain.
While beetroots do not cause any major side effects when consumed in moderate quantities, excess consumption may cause nausea and diarrhea. Moreover, people suffering from Wilson Disease should avoid beetroots as they lead to accumulation of copper and iron in the system.
8. Fresh Garlic + Lemon Juice
- Take 4-5 cloves of fresh Garlic. Slice it into fine pieces.
- Add a teaspoon of fresh Lemon Juice. Add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Chew well and swallow this mixture. Repeat the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Garlic is a medicinal herb that has been used to cure several illnesses relating to the stomach and is a great blood thinner as well. It has been recommended for treating cardiac related issues as well. A great antimicrobial as well as an antioxidant, this amazing herb is also an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that helps dissolve the gall stones and dislodge them, thus giving relief from gallbladder pain. Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C and helps in boosting the immune system. Garlic and lemon juice together make an excellent home remedy for gallbladder pain.
Garlic does not cause any adverse side effects and lemon juice also is safe to use. However, people with peptic ulcer should not consume raw garlic as it can cause stomach irritation and a burning sensation.
7. Quebra Pedra
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Quebra Pedra powder in a glass of water. Add the Quebra Pedra powder. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink the tea while it is hot. Continue twice daily for a week or 10 days.
Quebra Pedra, also known as Chanca Piedra is native the Amazon region and has a nickname known as “stone-breaker” because of its powers to dissolve gallbladder stones. It has been used as part of the folk medicine of the Mayans of the rainforests of Amazon for ages. It is effective for treating gallbladder as well as kidney stones. It prevents the further formation of stones as it has the power to block the formation of calcium crystals. Moreover, it is also effective in detoxifying the liver and protecting it. Quebra Pedra is one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain.
While Quebra Pedra does not cause any major side effects, it is not recommended for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
6. Turmeric + Honey
- Take 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Mix both to make a fine paste. Swallow this paste once daily for a couple of weeks.
Turmeric is a spice that is used extensively in the everyday cooking of various cultures of the world, especially by people belonging to the Asian countries. It is an excellent natural anti-inflammatory agent and has Omega-3 boosting powers as well. Honey is a natural antimicrobial and antioxidant that has rich anti-inflammatory properties and helps boost the immune system. Consuming Turmeric and honey regularly helps melt the gallbladder stones and gives relief from gallbladder pain. Turmeric and honey together make one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain relief.
Turmeric is used as an important cooking ingredient and does not cause any adverse side effects. Honey is a natural product that does good and no harm whatsoever.
5. Artichoke Leaf extract
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Artichoke leaf extract in a glass of water.
- Add the Artichoke leaf extract and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink the tea while it is hot.
- Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Artichoke (Cynara scolyus) is a natural herb that is native to Southern Europe. This herbal perennial helps in stimulating the liver and increases the production of bile. It helps in protecting the liver and prevents the accumulation of cholesterol in the gallbladder, which later solidifies as a stone. It is an excellent natural diuretic and stimulates a good appetite. The presence of a compound known as cynarin is what gives Artichoke to the power to enhance liver and gallbladder function and helps get relief from the pain caused by formation of stones. Artichoke is one of the best natural home remedies for gallbladder pain relief.
While Artichoke may not cause any serious side effects when consumed in measured quantities, it may cause dermatitis if the dosage is exceeded over a long term.
4. Rosemary Powder
- Boil 2 teaspoons of dried Rosemary powder in a glass of water. Add the Artichoke leaf extract and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink the tea while it is hot. Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Rosemary is an aromatic herb that belongs to the mint family of Lamiaceae. It is used as part of the cuisine of many cultures and has a distinct aroma that gets added to the food. Rosemary has natural antioxidant properties and is an excellent antibacterial agent as well. It helps boost the immune system and fight against infections. Rosemary is a mild diuretic and is known to boost the production of bile and promote a healthy liver and gallbladder. Rosemary is one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain.
While Rosemary does not cause any adverse side effects, it is not recommended for pregnant women as it contracts the uterus that may lead to an abortion. It may also be allergic to some when applied topically on the skin.
3. Red Bell Peppers
- Take 3 or 4 fresh Red Bell Peppers. Wash and slice them into thin pieces.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice. Eat the Red Bell Peppers raw. You may also add them along with your regular salad. Continue this process for a month or so.
Red Bell Peppers belong to the chili pepper family but are mild enough to be consumed raw. While Bell Peppers are very low on calories but are rich in Vitamin A and C. They help boost the immune system as they are rich in phytochemicals and carotenoids, especially beta-carotene which gives Bell Peppers the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from this, Bell Peppers are also rich in sulphur; Vitamin E and B6 that help regenerate the cells. Red Bell Peppers make one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain.
While consuming Bell Peppers in moderate quantities does not cause any adverse side effects, excessive consumption can lead to stomach upsets and may also cause skin irritation and itching.
- Take a bunch of fresh Celery. Boil two glasses of water in a bowl. Add the fresh Celery
- Allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain and drink the decoction. Continue the process for a week or 10 days.
Celery (Apium graveolens) is a green leafy vegetable that belongs to the Apiaceae plant family. It is probably one of the best sources of antioxidants and is packed with beneficial enzymes. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals like Vitamin K and C, B6 and potassium and folate. It helps in softening the gallbladder stones and expelling it through the excretory system. Celery acts as a mild laxative and cures constipation. It not only helps dissolve gallbladder stones, it also helps prevent their formation in future. Celery is one of the best home remedies for gallbladder stone pain.
Celery does not cause any adverse side effects when consumed in moderate quantities. However, it may cause skin inflammation and sensitivity to the sun when consumed over a long period of time. Celery is not recommended for pregnant women as it can cause uterine contractions induce an abortion.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar + Apple Juice
- Take two fresh apples and wash and peel. Cut and remove the seeds and juice the apples.
- Add a teaspoon of undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar. Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar is packed with antioxidants and is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent as well. Apple Cider Vinegar along with apple juice helps in relieving the gallbladder pain. Apart from having a soothing effect, Apple Cider Vinegar also helps in softening the gallbladder stone and expelling it from the system easily. Apple Cider Vinegar and apple juice together make one of the best home remedies for gallbladder pain relief.
Apple cider vinegar does not have any adverse side effects; apple juice is full of nutrition and does not cause any adverse side effects.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is moderate to severe pain in the upper right abdomen continuously.
- You have high fever (above 100°) accompanied by chills.
- The urine turns dark yellowish brown in color.